Sunday, August 31, 2008

Parent Orientation at Claire's School

I know it's been a while since I've posted a blog, but there just hasn't been much going on. Claire and I laid pretty low the past couple of weeks. I think I'm starting to enter the "nesting" phase of pregnancy, and for the first time in a really long time, I just want to be at home. Last week was our last Tuesday playgroup with all of Claire's friends since Claire will be going to preschool on Tuesday's and Thursday's from now on. I was so excited to get together with everyone, and for Claire to be able to play with all of her buddies. Many of these kids she has known since she was merely a couple months old. As we were walking up to the door of the house, my usually gregarious toddler nuzzled her head into my neck and said, "Mommy, I gonna be shy." And she was! She wouldn't let me put her down for the first 20 minutes or so. Eventually she warmed up, forgot about her little shy game, and had a blast with her friends.

This Thursday was Parent Orientation at Claire's preschool. Up until this point, I have been so excited to be putting her in school. She goes to the gym daycare 2 hours a day 4-5 times a week and seems to have fun, so she should really enjoy school, right? With Carter coming along soon, I thought it would also be a wonderful chance for me to bond with my newborn. But I started to have second thoughts...Am I doing this out of selfishness? Is Claire too young to start school? Could I teach her more at home? Is she going to feel abandoned? My answer to all of these questions was eventually, "No." Parent Orientation was a little nerve wracking, but her teacher's are wonderful and the school incorporates so many things that are important to child development - chapel, music class, art, playtime, outside time, etc. All of my fears were quelled on Friday when I took Claire for the open classroom time. She got to spend an hour meeting her classmates and teachers and exploring her classroom. Of course, she was my typical focused toddler. While all of the other children emptied toy bins and played with trucks, Claire sat at the table and put together puzzle after puzzle and read book after book and talked the entire time. She didn't get up from the chair until she decided that it was time to go bye-byes. This led her teacher to believe that Claire would do really well during the more focused art times. I was glad that her teachers got to see her developing personality. So this Tuesday is the big day, and I couldn't be more excited for her! Unfortunately, my doctor could only get me in for my weekly checkup in the morning, so Derek gets to take Claire for her first day (but maybe that will save me lots of tears). I guess in a way, Carter is already starting to infringe upon Claire's time with me.

Of course, with school starting, a doctor's appointment and a baby shower on the horizon, expect me to be much more involved in picture taking and blogging this week! Sorry it's been so long.

1 comment:

Heather said...

It's about time you posted! Slacker! JK