Sunday, November 23, 2008

Call Me Crazy

Our four year old Christmas tree finally bit the dust this year, so I went out last weekend and got us a new one. We decided to go ahead and open it to make sure all the lights worked and to see where to put it in our new house. So for the past week, we have had a Christmas tree sitting in our family room, and I decided we mine as well decorate. Yesterday Derek and I got down all the Christmas stuff from the attic and proceeded to decorate the entire house. We are now Christmas from top to bottom including ornaments on the tree, stockings over the fireplace and lights trimming our roofline. The earliest I have ever started to decorate for Christmas is the first week of December, and usually that is even pushing it. I'm not sure what possessed me to get into the spirit so early this year. After my mom passed away in January, I wasn't so sure I even wanted to decorate at all. Maybe subconsciously I was afraid that if I didn't get it over with early, then I wouldn't do it. I just can't believe that my husband has been so supportive of this early decorating rampage. Claire has found it especially exciting. Last year, I didn't want her to break the ornaments on the tree and she was too young to understand "no touching," so I only decorated the tree with flowers and pinecones. This year she's not only old enough to understand our rules, but she's also old enough to appreciate the beauty of them. We let her hand all the unbreakable ornaments near the bottom of the tree, and she was so excited to be a part of the decorating. Now I just have to convince her that the ornaments are supposed to stay on the tree.

Yes, Claire was also wearing Christmas pajamas

She was very proud of her ornaments


Daddy and Claire were playing dressup with Mommy's boots while I was taking a nap







2 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad to see you guys are home and going well!

Heather said...

Cute pics!! I still don't trust Parker with the tree. Maybe when he is 10 I'll let him decorate...hehehe!

The tree looks great. I can't wait to come over and see all of it!