Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Carter Douglas Is On His Way

I had my 33 week doctor's appointment yesterday, and things are really moving along. While the nurse was weighing me and getting my blood pressure (which is back up to normal), she asked if I had anything to discuss with the doctor. I explained to her that I have been having some false labor contractions - similar to the Braxton-Hicks I have been experiencing over the last two months only much stronger and lower down on my stomach. She said she would pass the word on to Dr. W and have her "check me" (check my cervix for any possible dilation). Dr. W asked me to describe my contractions and sited them as simply a combo of Braxton-Hicks and round ligament pains - common pregnancy pains. She said that the uterus during the second pregnancy can be much more irritated and that I would be experiencing stronger/sharper pains due to this irritation. She said that she didn't think what I was experiencing would cause my cervix to change/dilate but she would do a check just to be sure.

...SURPRISE...

Dr. W was just as shocked as I was to find that I am already 1 to 1.5 centimeters dilated. Her concern was minimal since I was already 2 centimeters at 35 weeks with Claire. She thinks that I am probably moving along the same path. However, I now have to go in for weekly appointments, and she will be checking my cervix weekly for any changes. She has put me on some restrictions - no sex (hahaha! like that happens at the end of pregnancy anyway!), limit my exercise and just try to relax as much as possible. She said, "If he comes at 38 weeks instead of 39 like Claire, that would be just fine." Ummm...38 weeks!!! Does she realized that 38 weeks means October 7 - just two days after Claire's birthday and one day before our wedding anniversary. Could we possibly cram more things into one week of our lives?! I had a little talk with Carter after she left the room letting him know that the most important thing was to stay put so he will be as healthy as possible and so he won't ruin his big sister's birthday. Either way, I can't wait to see his precious little face. I am definitely going into nesting mode - packing my bag for the hospital and washing all of his clothes this week. Whew! So much for trying to relax!

1 comment:

Heather said...

This freaks me out! You better hold on Carter!