Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mom, I Miss You More Every Day

Dear Mom,
Your presence in our lives is greatly missed every day. So much has happened this year that you would have loved to experience. 2008 brought us heartbreak and sorrow as well as joy and excitement. Derek tried his best to help me pick up the pieces after your passing and during our swift move to Flower Mound. We have a beautiful new home in the neighborhood you loved. Claire has her own room and reached a milestone of her own by moving to a big girl bed this past summer. Shortly before the move we discovered I was pregnant. We decked out our little boy's room the way you would have done. We spent Easter back at Spanish Oaks with Leigh, Wayne and Lisa and their boys. Claire had so much fun at the petting zoo and egg hunt. Claire and I spent the summer traveling and visiting family. In Pennsylvania Claire enjoyed time with cousins and a family reunion. You were greatly missed at your 40th high school reunion. We made sure to see Leigh at least every two months. Claire enjoyed a summer of swimming and playing with friends. Our weeks went by fast with McKinney playdates and weekly visits with Heather, Parker and Peyton. With the fall came school for Claire - she goes two days a week and her teachers say she loves to learn. You wouldn't believe how verbal she has become. She has learned so much from shapes and colors to letters and numbers (and even a little Spanish). October was a busy month with birthdays and the birth of our son Carter Douglas. He arrived via surprise c-section and is the most beautiful boy we've ever seen. Aunt Nancy came down for a week and was a great help with Claire and the cooking. Claire even called her "Grams". It was wonderful to have her here and we surprised her by asking her to be Carter's godmother. Kathy came to visit next and even watched the kids while Derek and I went on a date to celebrate my birthday. Halloween was fun as Claire (Minnie Mouse) trick-or-treated from house to house for the first time while Carter (Little Monster) and I sat on the front porch. Novemeber was a tough month as Carter was admitted to the hospital for four days with RSV. We had a scare and I cried for you each night I was there by his side. However, I am happy to say that he is now a big, healthy boy who seems to smile all day long. Thanksgiving was hard since it was usually spent with you, but Leigh made it up to Dallas to spend it with the whole Crabtree family. The holidays were particularly hard on us all this year. It was our first year without you - the one who always knew just how to decorate and cook for a perfect season. You would be so proud of Leigh - he decorated the house in Austin and had so many fun presents under the tree for Claire. This Christmas we also lost our dear cousin Sharon after her long fight with breast cancer, but I rejoice in knowing that you two are now together in heaven. Many phone calls to Leigh, Aunt Nancy and Grandma got us all through the end of the year. I know you are looking down on us now and smiling. As you can see, we are surviving. Every day is a struggle, and we miss you so much. But I know you are in heaven. You are one God's angels now just as you were our angel here on Earth. I love you Mom.

Thank you to all of my friends and family who have helped me through this past year. I couldn't have done it without your love and support.






4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow honey! That was beautifully written!

I know Sandy is with you and the babies everyday. She is smiling down upon you and is so proud of you!

Even though she isn't here to be able to tell you in person, I know how proud she is of you for being so strong through all of this and being such a great support to Leigh. I know she is also so proud of you for being such a great Mommy!

I hate it for you SO much that she hasn't been here for all the events that have taken place in the past year. She was definitely here in spirit though!

I'm sure she was there with you when Carter was born, crying tears of joy! I'm sure she was also there with you when he was in the hospital, crying right along with you; wishing and praying that he would get better!

Your mom was such an amazing woman and she is missed by everyone who ever had the pleasure of meeting her!

I wish there was something that I could do or say that would take away your pain. All I can say is that I know it gets easier with time.

I love you and I am always here for you!

K said...

Andrea, your post had me crying in my office. That was a beautiful tribute to your mother. What I did last weekend, and the money I raised is in honor of your mother and everyone else who didn't make it to find a cure. That is why I am so committed to this cause. I don't want another mother, father, sister, brother, friend, husband, wife, or anyone lost to this terrible disease. I'm going to keep fighting the good fight, and I'm psyched you'll be out there next year!!! It is the COOLEST experience getting involved with Team in Training. I've made some new friends for life!

Anonymous said...

Hey there love,

I read this and it brought tears to my eyes. It so so beautiful and it made me think back to your house in West U around the holidays and how it was always so perfectly decorated and the yummy eggs benedics she made...no one has even come close to her cooking. I know she is there with you and your family everyday and is so proud of you. Even though she is up in heaven now she lives on in you, and you can really see it around the holidays but also in the beautiful woman and mother you have become. I love you!

Monica

KJmom said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Mom. I can only imagine what a wonderful lady she was. I had tears in my eyes as I read your letter. It was beautifully written Andrea.